Best Moto X Generation 4 Review





I suppose it's worth the money, but I had hoped to be more enthusiastic about this phone.



 First, the positive. The fingerprint reader is fantastic—quick and precise. From a reasonable distance, voice recognition works nicely. The phone is extremely quick and responsive. It's convenient to be able to add an SD Card (though not what I expected, see below). I'm sure it's a personal preference, but I appreciate the sound quality of the front speakers. The 16-megapixel selfie camera is fantastic.








Second, there's the "meh." The contrast on the screen is a little low, so everything looks a little washed out. The rear cameras are adequate, although the clarity and dual-lens effects aren't very impressive. The Moto interface enhancements (gestures, voice, etc.) are intriguing, but I don't think they bring enough value to justify the added complexity. Amazon Alexa is included, but it's a stripped-down Moto version that doesn't have an alternate wake word or the ability to join multi-room music groups, among other things. Cellular reception (data and voice) is average; a head-to-head comparison with my wife's Nexus 6 reveals the X4 to be much behind. T-Mobile compensates for this in part with Wi-Fi calling.

Then there's the bad. The phone has 32GB of internal storage, but the system uses 15GB right away. Internal memory is now 17.7GB after updating the factory apps (nothing else was added). That didn't provide me nearly as much flexibility as I had hoped. The SD Card can only store media and photos (no apps, cache, or app data).

This is reportedly due to Nougat's refusal to allow adoptable storage when file-based encryption is enabled, which would be the case on this phone by default. So it was more like a 16GB phone in terms of functionality than a 32GB phone.

I'm keeping the phone because it's valuable to me (with the Amazon discount). However, I am not thrilled, as I had anticipated.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where To Buy A Second Hand Car In Kenya?

Price Of Phones In Kenya Below 10 K

Kenya Economy And Unemployment Rate In 2022